In the business world, we are notorious for putting fun last on our list of priorities and as a result, never getting to it. We’re so busy during the year trying to meet our sales, revenue, expense, quality and customer satisfaction goals that we don’t schedule time to have fun. That needs to change.
Are you having fun yet? If not, here are some things to consider in order to put fun back into your workplace.
- Put fun first on your list of priorities, and the rest will fall into place.
- Laugh more. Laughter can be a great medicine for what ails you and your workplace.
- Be spontaneous with recognition, praise and a simple “thank you”.
- Schedule fun-based activities with employees, customers and suppliers.
- Find your inner child. Let others see the humorous side of your personality.
- Live with the 3E’s – Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.
- Take mental health breaks and/or extended lunches to refresh and re-energize.
- Keep things in perspective. Your work is a means to an end, not the end!
Regardless of where you are in your career, if you’re not having fun – what’s the point? Life is too short to not enjoy what you are doing, so find a way to put fun back into your work or do something else.
The continuing negative trends in business as a result of downsizing, restructuring and the financial markets meltdown have taken a huge toll on the workplace, and the workforce tasked with doing more with less. We need to find ways to reduce stress, improve productivity, and keep our morale and energy levels up.
Putting fun back into the work is a great place to start. So, what are you doing to put fun back into your workplace?
COPYRIGHT © 2010-11 John Carroll